The MLB Draft is not only an exciting time for the 30 major league ball clubs, but also for the countless baseball prospects on potentially hearing their name called during the three-day event.
Earlier on Monday, we highlighted the notable players drafted by the Tigers between Thursday and Saturday. What is fun to look at is all the local talent that gets selected during this exciting weekend around the game of baseball. And out of the 1200+ players to get selected, 26 of them were linked to the state of Michigan in some way, whether it was the high school or university they were from or a city they grew up and were raised in.
The one player in this pool who heard his name before everyone else was that of Keegan Akin from Western Michigan, who was drafted in the 2nd round by the Baltimore Orioles with the No. 54 overall pick, becoming the highest Bronco draft pick since 1970.
Western Michigan pitcher Keegan Akin selected in 2nd round of MLB draft by Baltimore Orioles https://t.co/f0VwgRgckU
— MLive Sports (@MLiveSports) June 13, 2016
WMU clinched a spot in NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament for the first time since 1989 after capturing their first MAC Tournament title. A big part of it was their ace Akin, who in 17 starts for the Broncos this season went 7-4 with a dazzling 1.82 ERA, logging over 100 innings of work and compiling a K:BB ratio of better than 4:1. Opposing hitters hit less than .200 off Akin this year.
Akin led the wave of Michigan-based players to get drafted this past weekend. Here are the others who heard their name called:
- Brett Adcock, LHP – 4th Round, Houston Astros
- 15 GMs (14 starts): 78.1 IP, 7-5 record, 3.22 ERA, 100 K, 62 BB
- Carmen Benedetti, LHP – 12th Round, Houston Astros
- 16 GMs: 14.2 IP, 2.45 ERA, 17 K, 12 BB
- Evan Hill, LHP – 24th Round, Detroit Tigers
- 16 GMs (12 starts): 63.1 IP, 5-5 record, 4.26 ERA, 62 K, 23 BB
- Jackson Lamb, RHP – 35th Round, St. Louis Cardinals
- 10 GMs: 8.1 IP, 1.08 ERA, 13 K, 5 BB
- Harrison Wenson, C – 39th Round, Pittsburgh Pirates
- 57 GMs: .289/.345/.491, team-high 8 HR and 56 RBI
Michigan State Spartans
- Cam Vieaux, LHP – 6th Round, Pittsburgh Pirates
- 15 GMs (14 starts): 87.0 IP, 7-4 record, 2.28 ERA, 77 K, 19 BB
- Jordan Zimmerman, 2B – 7th Round, Los Angeles Angels
- 56 GMs: .374/.461/.594, team-high 9 HR and 37 RBI, 10-16 SB
- Dakota Mekkes, RHP – 10th Round, Chicago Cubs
- 28 GMs: 57.0 IP, 1.74 ERA, 96 K, 41 BB
- Matt Byars, C – 24th Round, Minnesota Twins
- 55 GMs: .284/.335/.441, 4 HR, 26 RBI
Davenport University (NAIA – Grand Rapids, MI)
- Brandon White, RHP – 13th Round, Atlanta Braves
- 10 GMs (9 starts): 61.0 IP, 6-1 record, 2.36 ERA, 64 K, 12 BB
- Bryan Saucedo, RHP – 14th Round, Chicago White Sox
- 17 GMs (13 starts): 60.0 IP, 5-6 record, 5.70 ERA, 73 K, 42 BB
- Corbin Clouse, LHP – 27th Round, Atlanta Braves
- 11 GMs (8 starts): 50.0 IP, 5-0 record, 1.62 ERA, 75 K, 25 BB
- Travis Bolin, OF – 32nd Round, Texas Rangers
- 59 GMs: .412/.472/.819, team highs in 2B (20), 3B (12), HR (16), RBI (62) and SB (17)
Central Michigan University
- Nick Deeg, LHP – 30th Round, San Francisco Giants
- 15 GMs (15 starts): 98.0 IP, 4-7 record, 3.95 ERA, 86 K, 34 BB
- Sean Renzi, RHP – 32nd Round, Chicago White Sox
- 19 GMs (11 starts): 82.1 IP, 5-7 record, 4.70 ERA, 75 K, 49 BB
- Zach McKinstry, SS – 33rd Round, Los Angeles Dodgers
- 61 GMs: .325/.415/.383, 26 RBI, 12-17 SB
- Kyle Roberts, LHP – 5th Round, Texas Rangers
- Henry Ford Community College
- Ben Sheckler, LHP – 8th Round, San Diego Padres
- Cornerstone Univ. (Grand Rapids, MI)
- Native of Sparta, MI
- Hosea Nelson, OF – 9th Round, Cleveland Indians
- Clarendon College (TX)
- Native of Detroit
- Graduate of Warren De La Salle
- Caleb Baragar, LHP – 9th Round, San Francisco Giants
- Indiana Univ.
- Native of Jension, MI
- John Schreiber, RHP – 15th Round, Detroit Tigers
- University of Northwestern Ohio
- Native of Rockwood, MI
- Formerly with Henry Ford C.C.
- Justin Alleman, RHP – 20th Round, San Francisco Giants
- Lee Univ. (Cleveland, TN)
- Native of Holt, MI
- Formerly with Michigan State Univ.
- Sterling Sharp, RHP – 22nd Round, Washington Nations
- Drury Univ. (Springfield, MO)
- Native of Farmington, MI
- Formerly with Eastern Michigan Univ.
- Mike Ellenbest, RHP – 24th Round, Toronto Blue Jays
- Saginaw Valley State Univ.
- Dion Henderson, LHP – 27th Round, Cincinnati Reds
- D.H. Conley High School (Greenville, NC)
- Native of Detroit/Oak Park