Inside the Article:
Detroit Red Wings goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic will stay in the organization after clearing waivers. General Manager Steve Yzerman placed Nedeljkovic on waivers Sunday, but no team put in a claim for him by Monday's 2 pm deadline.
Why it matters
- Nedeljkovic carries a $3 million salary cap hit in the final year of his contract
- Struggled to prove himself in the NHL this season
- Lost his backup job to Magnus Hellberg, who was claimed off waivers in November
Alex Nedeljkovic By the Numbers
- Nedeljkovic's last game with the Wings was on Dec. 8 against the Florida Panthers, resulting in a 5-1 loss
- 2-4-2 record with a 4.09 goals-against average and .880 save percentage
- Hellberg's numbers with the Wings: 2-3-0 with a 2.81 GAA and .896 save percentage
The Bottom Line
Nedeljkovic will be assigned to the minors, removing him from the 23-man roster. However, he has stabilized goaltending with the Grand Rapids Griffins in his six games conditioning stint, earning a 3-2-1 record with a 2.30 GAA and .920 save percentage.