It was a milestone 40 years ago on this date in Detroit Sports history.
The Detroit Red Wings had called Olympia Stadium home since 1927, and on December 15 1979, they played their final game in the legendary old red barn.
Detroit and the Quebec Nordiques skated to a 4-4 tie; they’d play their next four games on the road before officially moving into the brand-new Joe Louis Arena on the edge of the Detroit river downtown.
Of course, Joe Louis Arena would be the team’s home for the next 37 years.
Olympia Stadium would be demolished in September of 1987; the site is now home to the Michigan National Guard’s Olympia Armory. Fans can still see the original OLYMPIA letters that adorned the sides of the building at Little Caesars Arena in the venue’s concourse.