The 2022 NFL regular season is in the books and though our Detroit Lions won eight of their last ten games to finish with a 9-7 record, they came up one game short of making the playoffs. Now, it is time to start looking ahead at the Detroit Lions 2023 schedule. Of course, we will not know what the Lions' week-by-week schedule will look like until next spring sometime (it came out on May 12th this year), but we now know the Lions' home/away opponents for next season.
How is the Detroit Lions 2023 Schedule formed?
Before we look at the Detroit Lions 2023 home/away opponents, let's take a look at how the opponents are determined.
Each NFL team will play a 17-game regular-season schedule that will include one bye week. Teams in the AFC and NFC will alternate seasons in which they have 9 home regular-season games and one home preseason game, or 8 away regular-season games and two away preseason games. The AFC will have nine regular-season home games in the 2023 season. This means the Lions will play eight home games and nine road games in 2023.
Here is the breakdown of how the opponents are determined: Via NFL Operations
- Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
- Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
- Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
- Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.
- The new 17th game is an additional game against a non-conference opponent from a division that the team is not scheduled to play. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.
Detroit Lions 2023 Schedule: Home/Away opponents
With that being said, here is what the Detroit Lions' home/away opponents will be for 2023. (Remember, this is NOT a week-by-week schedule