in

Why the Detroit Red Wings WILL NOT have the best odds to land No. 1 pick

There is absolutely no question about it, the Detroit Red Wings are by far the worst team in the NHL and barring a miracle, they will easily finish the season with the fewest amount of points in the league.

Embed from Getty Images

Because of that, one would think that the Red Wings will automatically have the best odds of landing the No. 1 pick when the NHL Draft Lottery is held.

But that will likely not be the case, even though the Wings will have an 18.5% chance of landing the No. 1 pick.

That’s because the Ottawa Senators, who currently have the third-worst record in the NHL, also own the rights to the San Jose Sharks pick and the Sharks are currently sitting with the fifth-worst record in the league.

As you can see below in the image from Tankathon.com, the No. 3 slot has an 11.5% chance of landing the No. 1 overall pick, while the No. 5 slot has an 8.5% chance of winning the Draft Lottery. That means that if the standings remain how they are (not a guarantee), the Senators would actually have a 20% chance of getting the No. 1 pick, which would be higher than the Red Wings 18.5% chance.

Despite having the worst record in the league by far, the odds are still stacked against the Red Wings to get the No. 1 pick. That being said, after the suffering we have all gone through this season, it sure would be fun to be first on the clock when the NHL Draft begins!

Have you subscribed to our YouTube Channel yet? Subscribe and hit that notification bell to stay up to date on all the latest Detroit sports news, rumors, interviews, live streams, and more!
MUST READ:
5 Free agent forwards the Detroit Red Wings should consider

Detroit Tigers outfielder Travis Demeritte blasts two home runs

Dylan Larkin has message for Detroit Red Wings fans [Video]