The Detroit Tigers turned one heck of a triple play today in their win over the Philadelphia Phillies.
A baseball rarity – 6-3-5-2 triple play
A 6-3-5-2 triple play is a very rare occurrence in Major League Baseball. According to the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), there have only been five instances of a 6-3-5-2 triple play in MLB history.
The five instances of a 6-3-5-2 triple play in MLB history are as follows:
- September 14, 1923: Cleveland Indians vs. Boston Red Sox
- June 6, 1942: St. Louis Browns vs. Detroit Tigers
- May 20, 1950: Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago Cubs
- August 8, 1980: Houston Astros vs. San Francisco Giants
- May 31, 1990: Seattle Mariners vs. Toronto Blue Jays
So to have this happen when no cameras were rolling – well, that deserved the type of attention the Detroit Tigers social media team gave. Check out the gem of a video below.