When news broke that John Beilein was leaving Michigan for the NBA, one of the first thoughts from Wolverines’ fans was whether or not future commitments would have second thoughts.
Unfortunately, but understandably, that is exactly what happened as 4-star small forward Jalen Wilson announced a week ago he was decommitting from Michigan.
On Wednesday, reports surfaced that Juwan Howard and the Wolverines were working on a 5-year deal to make him their next head coach.
Following the news, Wilson took to twitter with a cryptic tweet.
— jwill (@thejalenwilson) May 22, 2019
Though Wilson currently remains uncommitted and plans to visit Kansas and North Carolina, he told The Michigan Daily that Michigan is still in the running to land him.
From Michigan Daily:
“I still got the same business,” Wilson told The Daily. “It’s not gonna change everything. It’s a new coach so he’s gonna have to recruit and do all the business all over again like everybody else, really.”
However, Wilson never ruled out Michigan, telling the Daily last week that, “I’m always considering (Michigan). I just had to do this to look at the bigger picture as a backup plan. I can’t rely on someone if I don’t know they’re gonna be there or not.”
Despite the uncertainty, the Wolverines’ assistants have remained in contact with Wilson since Beilein’s departure.
“(The communication has been) the same,” Wilson said. “Keeping the relationship good, keep it ongoing and telling me to remain calm and stuff like that. … They just told me they understood everything, why I decommitted and that they were always gonna be there for me if I ever needed to come back.”
“Juwan Howard was a great player and a great face for Michigan,” Wilson said. “And now that he’s the head coach, I feel like it’ll really bring a big spark to the school.”
Only time will tell if Wilson will end up back with the Wolverines but this is certainly a good sign that Michigan is still on his radar.