The AAF came and as I predicted, it did not last a single season.
Now, it’s the XFL’s turn to prove they can survive in a country where the National Football League runs the show.
In 2020, the XFL will take another swing at establishing themselves as a legit football league and tryouts for that league have already kicked off.
So far, there have been a pair of Summer Showcases (Houston and Dallas) and a trio of former Detroit Lions were on the invite only list to get a shot.
Those players are DT Khyri Thornton, and CBs Ian Wells and Sterling Moore.
Altogether, the XFL will hold eight Summer Showcase events.
The Showcase was split into four areas:
- QB: Passing Accuracy, Arm Strength, and Football IQ
- RG: Balance, Vision and Acceleration
- WR: Catching Ability, Athleticism, and Body Control
- TE: Short-Area Quickness, Blocking Ability, and Pass Catching
- OL/DL: Body & Foot Quickness, Play Strength, and Overall Athetic Ability
- LB: Instinct Awareness, Strength & Point of Attack, and Burst of Acelleration
- DB: Reaction Quickness, Play Speed, and Burt to Close
- Innovative testing with wearable technology to measure key football and position-specifc movements; including acceleration and deceleration.
- Position-specific exercises designed to demonstrate performance against an opponent.
- Game simulation drills without linemen to test football instincts.