Inside the Article:
The New Orleans Pelicans defeated the Detroit Pistons 116-110 on Friday night, with Jonas Valanciunas leading the way with 33 points. The Pelicans were without a trio of injured players, including Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram, and Herbert Jones, while the Pistons were missing Isaiah Stewart, Jalen Duren, Marvin Bagley III, and Cade Cunningham.
Jonas Valanciunas scored 13 of his 33 points in the first quarter. The New Orleans Pelicans beat the Detroit Pistons 116-110 on Friday night despite missing key players Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram, and Herbert Jones.
Why it Matters
The Pelicans' win keeps them in the race for a playoff spot in the Western Conference, currently sitting at the 9th spot. On the other hand, the Pistons are currently sitting at the last spot in the Eastern Conference.
Detroit Pistons vs. Pelicans By the Numbers
- Jonas Valanciunas made 12 of 15 shots and grabbed 16 rebounds
- CJ McCollum and Trey Murphy III each had 19 points for the Pelicans
- Naji Marshall added 17 points
- Bojan Bogdanovic scored 14 of his 22 points in the first quarter for the Pistons.
- Saddiq Bey had 20 points, and Jaden Ivey had 17 points, seven rebounds, and six assists for the Pistons.
What they are Saying
- Diallo: “We left it all on the court tonight. We competed, we battled. That’s a talented team we just played, one of the top teams in the West.”
- Hamidou Diallo on playing center: “It's more than tough, being out there guarding those big fellas. I commend, Jalen, Isaiah, Marvin, Nerlens.”