Inside the Article:
Detroit Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman has placed goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic on waivers.
Why it matters
Yzerman is known for making calculated moves for the team's long-term success, even if it may seem surprising at first. Nedeljkovic struggled in his appearances this season, with a 2-4-2 record, a 4.09 goals-against average, and a 0.880 save percentage.
- If Nedeljkovic clears at 2 p.m. Monday, he can be reassigned to Grand Rapids
- This would clear a roster spot for Filip Zadina, who could be assigned to the Griffins for conditioning after being out since Nov. 5 with a broken leg.
- Nedeljkovic will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.
Alex Nedeljkovic By the Numbers
- Nedeljkovic's record this season: 2-4-2
- Nedeljkovic's Goals-against average: 4.09
- Nedeljkovic's save percentage: 0.880
- Nedeljkovic's games played: 9
The Bottom Line
Yzerman is making moves to better the team in the long run, even if it may be unexpected. Nedeljkovic's struggles this season have led to the decision to waive him and give Magnus Hellberg a chance to prove himself.