Detroit Lions Wild Card Opponent: What we know heading into Week 18
With Week 17 of the NFL season wrapped up, the playoff picture for the Detroit Lions is becoming clearer. Currently positioned as the No. 3 seed, the Lions' fate for the opening round of the playoffs hinges on several crucial outcomes in the final week of the regular season.
The Road to the No. 2 Seed
The Lions have a chance to climb to the No. 2 seed, but it requires a specific set of outcomes: a win over the Minnesota Vikings, coupled with losses by the Dallas Cowboys at the Washington Commanders and the Philadelphia Eagles at the New York Giants. While this scenario is a long shot, it's not outside the realm of possibility and would significantly impact the Lions' path in the playoffs. If that does happen, there are still a plethora of potential scenarios that could play out.
Possible Opponents as the No. 3 Seed
Assuming the Lions secure the No. 3 seed, their potential opponents in the opening round narrow down to two teams: the Los Angeles Rams or the Green Bay Packers. The scenarios determining which team travels to Ford Field for the playoff game are as follows:
- Packers and Rams Both Win: The Lions will host the Rams.
- Packers and Rams Both Lose: The Lions will host the Rams.
- Packers Lose and Rams Win: The Lions will host the Rams.
- Packers Win and Rams Lose: The Lions will host the Packers.
Key Factors to Consider
The final week of the regular season is crucial for the Lions, not just for their own game against the Vikings but also for keeping an eye on the outcomes of the Packers' and Rams' games. The Lions' performance throughout the season has set them up for a promising playoff run, and the potential matchups present intriguing challenges and opportunities.
TL;DR (too long didn't read)
- Lions' Potential Climb to No. 2 Seed: The Detroit Lions have a specific path to ascend to the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs, which hinges on them defeating the Minnesota Vikings, combined with losses by the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles in their respective Week 18 matchups.
- Scenarios for Opening Round Opponents: Assuming the Lions secure the No. 3 seed, their potential opponents in the opening round of the NFL Playoffs are narrowed down to either the Los Angeles Rams or the Green Bay Packers, depending on the outcomes of the Packers' and Rams' final regular-season games.
- Impact of Final Week Outcomes: The final week of the regular season is crucial for the Lions, not only for their own game against the Vikings but also due to its impact on their playoff positioning and the determination of their first-round opponent, with several scenarios in play based on the results of other key games.
Conclusion: A Pivotal Week Ahead
As the Detroit Lions gear up for their final regular-season game, the playoff scenarios present exciting possibilities. Whether facing the Rams or the Packers, the Lions have shown they are a formidable opponent this season. The team and its fans will undoubtedly be watching the final week's games with bated breath, ready to embrace the challenges of the postseason.