Detroit Tigers make surprise decision on Tyler Alexander, announce flurry of roster moves
The 2023 MLB season is officially in the books and the Texas Rangers are the World Series Champions. As far as our Detroit Tigers go, they have been focused on the offseason for quite a while now, and on Monday, they announced a flurry of roster moves, including the announcement that they have designated LHP Tyler Alexander for assignment.
What Moves Did the Detroit Tigers Make?
On Monday, the Tigers announced the following roster moves:
- Exercised the club option of C Carson Kelly and OF Mark Canha
- Selected RHP Keider Montero to the 40-man roster
- Reinstated RHP's Casey Mize and Freddy Pacheco, LHP Tyler Alexander and OF's Riley Greene and Austin Meadows from the 60-day injured list
- RHP Trey Wingenter and LHP Andrew Vasquez have cleared waivers and have been outrighted to Triple A Toledo
- INF Zack Short was claimed on waivers by New York (NL)
- Designated LHP Tyler Alexander for Assignment
An Unexpected Move
Out of the moves listed above, the most interesting is the decision to designate LHP Tyler Alexander for assignment. Despite tossing just 44 innings in the 2023 season due to an injury, his versatility and consistent strike-throwing skills had established him as a valuable asset in the bullpen during his time with the Tigers. In his abbreviated playing time last year, he managed to strike out 44 batters while issuing just five walks, which makes this move a bit unexpected.
TL;DR (too long didn't read)
- Roster Shakeup: The Detroit Tigers have made a series of intriguing roster moves, including exercising options, reinstating players from the injured list, and designating left-handed pitcher Tyler Alexander for assignment.
- Surprise Decision: The most surprising of these moves is the decision to designate Tyler Alexander for assignment. Despite his limited playing time in the 2023 season due to an injury, Alexander's versatility and precision on the mound had made him a valuable bullpen asset.
- Offseason Reconfiguration: With the MLB season officially concluded and the Texas Rangers crowned as World Series Champions, the Tigers are actively reevaluating and reshaping their roster as they prepare for the upcoming offseason.
Bottom Line: Moving Forward
The Detroit Tigers have made a surprising move by designating Tyler Alexander for assignment, signaling their commitment to revamp the team and address future challenges as they transition into the offseason. These roster moves offer a glimpse into the Tigers' strategy as they aim to build a competitive squad for the next season.