The college basketball season is winding down to Selection Sunday. Conference championships will be played to fill the 32 automatic bids for all conference winners in their respective tournaments. For those who haven’t followed too closely to the sport until its most infamous month, we have a guide to the six things you should know going into the prime time of the college basketball season.
1. STATE OF MICHIGAN ON THE RISE?
The state of Michigan have many teams trending up at the right time.
- Oakland and Western Michigan are on nine- and seven-game win streaks respectively.
- Central Michigan touts one of the nation’s most prolific scorers in Marcus Keane; averaging 29.4 points per game. Also an interesting fact, despite being the third-highest scoring offense in the NCAA, the Chippewas have a below .500 record and have lost six games in a row.
- Even the likes of Eastern Michigan are on a two-game winning streak headed into their season finale on Friday before tipping off their conference tournament on March 9.
- Both Michigan and Michigan State are 4-2 in the last two weeks (at the time of this writing), both having beaten Wisconsin in that stretch; Michigan also with a win over Purdue during that time. The Wolverines and Spartans seemingly overcame their bubble status with these marque wins and, despite a road hiccup for both squads on Wednesday, look well on their way to being a tough out come tournament time.
It is a distinct possibility the state of Michigan could get as many as four teams into the NCAA tournament and they all seem to be hitting their stride at the perfect time.