The Miami Dolphins defense has underwhelmed thus far this season. With Sunday’s 23-20 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, there are rumblings of discord in the Miami locker room. The Dolphins D gave up a total of 396 yards of total offense and had no takeaways in the game. More stunningly, the Dolphins gave up 273 of said yards in the first half to Blake Bortles and the Jaguars offense.
The most alarming thing coming out of Sunday’s matchup, however, was a rumor brought on by The Miami Herald’s Adam Beasley:
“The same could be said for the Dolphins’ defense, which is somehow worse with Ndamukong Suh than it was without him in 2014.”
Going off script
A big reason why: Suh, who for the second straight week was a nonfactor, strayed from Kevin Coyle’s script.
The Miami Herald has learned that Suh freelanced at times Sunday, creating confusion on the defense. By taking matters into his own hands, the Dolphins’ $114 million man took a bad situation and made it worse.”
This comes as no surprise for Detroit fans, but it sure holds a bevy of issues for the Dolphins who want their $114 million dollar investment to be worth the money. So far this season, Suh has accounted for only three tackles and no sacks. For that much money, his production should clearly be more than it is right now.
Suh, in his typical nonchalant way, responded to inquires about his less-than-desirable play by stating:
” ‘I couldn’t tell you,’ Suh said, when asked to explain his uninspired play. ‘At the end of the day, we have to go back to the drawing board and figure out what we want to run so guys can make plays and go from there.’ “
The Detroit Lions are obviously in a pretty rough spot thus far in 2015. But at least they don’t have to deal with the lack of effort from their over $100 million dollar “star” DT.